Monday, October 31, 2011

Full Weekends, Halloween, and Red Shorts


Well, this weekend consisted of a wedding (Yeah, Tricia and Patrick!), a halloween party, and a potluck at church. I've filled my social quota for at least the next two weeks. If you need me, I'll be holding a prolonged session of SSR (sustained silent reading) in my bedroom/living room.

Well, it's truly been a freaky weekend: both the Gophers and Vikings won! As the late REM once sang, "It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine."

This year I felt completely uninspired when it came to halloween costumes. I just couldn't put any energy into thinking about a creative costume, let alone going out to find the elements that would be needed for the costume I thought up. As such, I went down into the basement and grabbed one of the old orange polyester choir robes from the church with a complimentary yellow robe and went as a choir member. It's not as good as previous costumes - Ellen, the internet, fundamentalist pastor - but it got the job done.

If I had a kid, I would definitely try to go by Rosie O'Donnell's house. She just moved in about a block away from the church/my building. She better at least be giving out full candy bars, that's all I'm saying. Ahh...memories of judging people by the candy they gave out! I mean, there definitely still is a hierarchy of candies...and no one should be given bit-o-honeys or hard candy of any type. Werthers Originals, butterscotch discs, and root beer barrels should be reserved for a decorative candy dish at an estate sale, not for the dear children of our society. Speaking of which, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea for me to go and buy some candy just in case we do have trick-or-treaters this year. I could always resort to turning off all my lights and hibernating in my room. Vamos a ver.

I don't know if you've ever been one to lose clothes, but I have been known to misplace a sweater every once in a while. What I find fascinating is how the newer clothes I really like tend to be the ones I lose while the clothes I have had for 10+ years always seem to be on the top of my laundry basket. For instance, I couldn't lose my 10+ year old red nike shorts if I took a plane over a remote jungle, covered them in cow meat, and dropped them in piranha infested waters. The next week I'd find them in the mail with a note saying someone had found them, recognized them, and had them dry-cleaned for me before sending them back. You know, these red shorts:


Seriously, I've had them since my junior year of high school when I would wear them with my red-and-blue tie-dyed chemistry shirt for my tennis uniform before we ordered shirts. My mom would make comments like, "If I were the coach, I wouldn't let you play looking like that." To which I replied, "If you were my coach, I wouldn't be playing tennis," or "If you were my coach, we would have bigger problems than what shorts I wore," or "(roll of the eyes while walking up to my room)."

Okay, I need to go for a run. As you can probably guess, weddings, halloween parties, and potlucks do not make for light eating. I'm going to have to start putting those maternity bands on my jeans soon. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment