Tuesday, October 18, 2011

News from the North Country

Well, I made it to Duluth after some interesting events along highway 210. First, my parents alerted me to a great bakery in McGregor that is seriously amazing! It seems so random that the best bakery is in the middle of nowhere (sorry for the slam on your neighborhood, Covenant Pines people). So, then I'm cruising along when just pass Cromwell the highway is closed. This obviously isn't unheard of, but there is no signs for detours and if you take a random road you could end up on some isolationist militia man's compound hearing the strains of "Dueling Banjos" as you dodge guard dogs and "U.S. Out of UN!" signs.

So, I check my map and find this winding road that seems to get me around. So, as I'm about ten miles into this meandering route on a one-way dirt road known as Ditchbank Forest Road (not a joke), I come upon more "road" construction. In this case, it's three guys putting fill on the road. I get out of my car to check if I can get around and the foreman informs me that I have to wait 30 minutes to get by. At this point I decide I should check to make sure all my oxen are alive and none of my passengers have cholera because apparently I've fallen into a wormhole and ended up on the Oregon Trail. So, now I figure it would take just as much time to find a new route, so I backtrack a half-mile to some cross country skiing trails and go for a run while I wait. It wasn't the most runnable trail and probably shouldn't have been attempted in running shoes, but it was the best way to maximize my time.

So, now I'm in Duluth at the home of Luke and Chelsey Harju. Not only do I feel at home because it's Luke and Chels, but also the upstairs guest bedroom has slanted ceilings and a built-in dresser just like my bedroom growing up (and I use bedroom loosely...more like a hallway to a bigger bedroom).

Yesterday I wrote my first essay of purpose for my applications. It is hard work to write only a page or two and feel like you've said anything of substance while at the same time avoiding: "I like your school because: a. it's cool; second, you have smart people; and d. I'm awesome too! So, you should probably accept me...plus, I'm really into you. Check yes or no, and if it's yes, send me a super big financial aid package to make it worth my while! Love, Dave." So, Duke essay down, Garrett, Boston, and Notre Dame to go!

I also went down to First Covenant Church with my grandma to hear Belgian missionary Barbara Swanson speak about her work with refugees in Antwerp. It's kind of funny because I played piano when she and her husband led seminary chapel a few weeks ago, and they visited ResCov about two weeks before that. So, good times had by all especially when my grandma forced me to play the piano during lunch. That was really awesome.

The night finished with a cold run by the radio antennas, Papa Murphy's dinner at my sister and brother-in-law's (with Luke and Chelsey), a few Seinfeld episodes, and then Scott Pilgrim vs. the World to end the night. All and all it was a pretty good day. Hopefully today I will get another essay done. You know what I say, shoot for the moon. Even if you miss you'll end up in the stars. Boy, I love inspirational quotes written in loopy silver fonts on black journals with a few stars trailing through the background.

I had a dream last night that I was at a thrift store and saw a book called Kierkegaard for Left-Handers. I didn't know if the book itself was physically easier for left-handers to use or if it had excerpts from Kierkegaard that were especially pertinent for a left-hander. I'm going to ponder that one a while.

Speaking of Ponder, thank God for quarterback changes. Can I get an amen? Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment