Tuesday, November 29, 2011

100th Post of 2011, Wind, and My Homage to U2


I don't know whether to be proud or ashamed, but this is my 100th blog post of 2011. So, there's that.

What was with the wind yesterday? I could almost picture Dorothy clutching Toto and wrenching uselessly on the cellar doors. Although I remember thinking, even as a child, there was no way that window would have knocked Dorothy out. The thing barely even touched her! Sync up the video to 1:48 and tell me that I'm wrong:


As many of you know, I am no big fan of U2. I think much of their music sounds the same, and the cynic in me think sometimes their view of saving the world seems like consumerism of a different sort (the RED campaign or the Louis Vuitton ads). Also, why then we must pay upwards of $100 to go to a concert to hear about poverty? Granted, it is more than most rockers do, and I do have respect for Bono being outspoken and trying to do some good in the world. Yet, it really is the music that doesn't do much for me. But, I will say there are three U2 songs that I not only can tolerate but really enjoy. They are:
1. "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," only the version with the New Voices of Freedom Gospel choir. Granted, I think the main reason I like this is because it has a gospel choir, but I like the synergy between Bono and the gospel singers. I mean, this video is pretty great. Note especially the Christian flag and the hymn board in the background. The music/magic begins at about the minute marker:

2. "Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of." I don't know what it is about this song, but the chorus is just so catchy and singable. I can't help but sing along and enjoy every minute of it.
3. I Still Believe in Father Christmas - Yes, this isn't originally an Emerson, Lake, and Palmer song, but I do think the U2 version is far superior. I'm a sucker for a rock song that has a classical piece playing in the background (Prokofiev's "Lieutenant Kije").


So, are there other U2 songs I should give a chance?

Well, I got a rough draft of my sermon done for Sunday. You should all come and hear it. I mean, preaching during Advent is just about the most a worship pastor could ask for! I promise references to Isaiah, John the Baptist, and Theodora Ayot. That's all I will say.

Okay, I'm going to go shower and get ready for dinner. Later.

4 comments:

  1. I love how casual that video is. They're like, "Yeah... Irish brother... whatever." Also, it's nice to see Bono without his supercoolrockstar shades.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the song "stuck in a moment and you can't get out of it"..it was on my "NOW" Cd..and i generally put that song on repeat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "where the streets have no name" is a pretty incredible description of god's kingdom. AND also i love your blog so much.

    ReplyDelete