Thursday, December 1, 2011

Completed Applications, Muppet Review, and World Relief Decembers

So, as I mentioned on Facebook, all of my applications have been sent in! I can't tell you what a process this is, especially for someone who has a penchant towards disorganization and misplacing things. It's no doubt a blessing that I live in this technological age of online applications that reduces the number of papers I must sort through and makes it almost impossible to lose parts of the application. It truly is like another part-time job filling out the papers, writing essays, asking people to write letters of recommendation, etc. This is how I felt when I finished:



I mean, it was perhaps on a smaller scale...maybe. I think I figured out that it cost me $463 to apply. I know that's not a huge sum of money, but I think that's a fairly steep price to pay to see if you even have a chance to attend school. So, this Advent season will be brought to you by ramen noodles (just kidding...no matter the amount of money in my bank account, I pass on ramen. I'm more a mac and cheese kind of guy).

So now, after my obvious celebratory nap, I'm trying to decide how to mark this occasion. Maybe Chipotle? Maybe a night out on the town? Maybe some good solid reading of a novel? Maybe I'll go over and practice my sermon. The world is my oyster, and I'm going to crack that sucker open and see if someone left me a pearl.

I don't think I ever mentioned how much I appreciated The Muppets. It was exactly what it should be, and I have to admit getting a little misty-eyed when Kermit began strumming the banjo for "Rainbow Connection." The only weak spot for me was the bizarre rap by the evil CEO. Yet, on the whole it left me feeling hopeful for humanity...at least those who appreciate the muppets. I think my favorite line was when the network exec was showing the gang the current hit on network television, "Punch the Teacher." After you see the premise (basically two hours of teachers getting punched by students), it cuts a way from the show, but not before you here one of the teachers lament, "I just wanted to make a difference!" A little social commentary via the muppets.

Oh, I guess I could also celebrate the fact that I registered for Midwinter? What I should say is I celebrate going to a church that will pay for me to go to midwinter. I definitely celebrate that! Hopefully there's good books in the book bag we receive at the beginning of the conference. That makes or breaks the conference for me.

Well, guess what month is turning out to be the busiest month for World Relief donations coordinators? If you guessed December, you're our winner! Nothing like moving furniture in December...fa la la la la....la la la la.

For those of you who were sorely offended by my less than glowing praise of U2, I will tell you that I did listen to the entire Joshua Tree album the other day. I will say it was better than I expected. I actually liked some of the lesser known tracks towards the end more than the standards at the beginning...like the one that starts with a harmonica.

Okay, I'm off to see what this night has in store for me. Let's be honest, it's probably reading with an early bedtime, but I'll take it!

2 comments:

  1. Well done.

    Felt similarly about the Muppets.

    And thanks for giving Joshua Tree a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bono was on the Ellen show today, speaking about World AIDS day, and he himself admitted to not being fond of his own voice!

    ReplyDelete