Saturday, December 3, 2011

Baby Massages, Long Sundays, and Tebow


Two more days of voting, and Sufjan has taken A Charlie Brown Christmas's place as co-leader with Mariah. Only a few more days of voting before the poll is switched!

I saw a sign the other day for baby massages, and I think that is kind of weird. All I can picture is a baby laying face down on a massage table with a glass of wine at its head, saying things like, "Oh, you wouldn't believe the stress at work. Oh my gosh, that knot right there....yeah, stay there for a few minutes. I just feel the stress ebbing away. Oh, if you could hit the feet, I've been having trouble with my arches...you know, being on my feet all day is really starting to take its toll."

The second Sunday of Advent went fairly well. It was a busy week because I was preaching and presenting on the topic of Advent after the service as well (and the evening service at 7). I think in the future I would chose to lead a discussion on a Sunday that I wasn't preaching. It was kind of a challenge to switch modes during coffee hour and also to dig into my extrovert reserves for another couple hours of leading discussion. Good thing the meal was lasagna, so I could carbo load as I talked a la Michael Scott right before the Fun Run for Rabies.


Needless to say, I crashed into a glorious Sunday nap afterward. Few things are superior in life to a lazy Sunday afternoon of sleeping and reading.

This week is going to be the week of World Relief. I think about five families are coming in, so we will be setting up apartments like its our job (which, it is) over the next few days. However, right around the 16th, my life will hit the brakes for a few weeks, and I am looking forward to that day in hopeful Advent expectation.

Speaking of which, the other day we picked up some furniture from an apartment where they were engaged in an all-day Lord of the Rings extended version viewing party (all three in one day). It took all of my will not to ask if I could stay and order a pizza with them.

Well, the Vikings just couldn't handle the Tebow yesterday. I have been a scoffer these past six seven weeks, but I must say, the record is speaking louder than the stats at this point. Granted, running the option in the NFL just doesn't bode well for QB longevity. If there is a bright side, it's that I am not a Bears fan. Now there was an ugly game. It turns out Jay Cutler was the only thing keeping that team afloat. Now, if only Aaron Rodgers would stumble across some kryptonite...and Troy Aikman and Joe Buck would start miming their commentary instead of speaking it..then, all would be right with the world. I think Green Bay fans are so zealous because what else are you going to cheer for in Green Bay? I remember the first time I drove through Green Bay as a seven year-old thinking, "Really?"

Well, the first candidate bites the dust. Herman Cain, we hardly knew thee...but the more we knew, the less we wanted to know. Who's the next to fall? I'm guessing the hindenbergian campaign of Michelle Bachmann. Yet, maybe some of the rabid Cain fans will bring new life to a sinking campaign? I guess we'll all have to stay tuned and be thankful for Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert.

Well, here goes Monday!

2 comments:

  1. I would like to attack your statement on the Bears, unfortunately I saw yesterday's game. You win this round.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First candidate to bite the dust? What, no love for Minnesota's own T-Paw?! :)

    ReplyDelete