Monday, September 19, 2011

Two Kinds of People, Leftovers, and Class Warfare


Today I heard on the radio the saying: "There are two kinds of people in this world: those who split everyone up into two kinds of people and those who don't." It made me think of my contributions to the "two kinds of people" discussion. For instance, there are two kinds of runners in this world: those who continue to run in place at stoplights, and those who grab their knees and suck wind, thanking God for small mercies like orange blinking "Don't Walk" hands. I am of the latter. Also, there are two kinds of people in this world: those who walk up escalators and moving sidewalks and those who let the machines do the work as God intended them to. I guess I'm not really one or the other in this scenario; much depends on my time management and overall level of laziness.

One of the perks of living in the warming center is leftovers! Today I had my third meal of macaroni and cheese and/or barbecue pork left from the meal on Friday. It's certainly helping my meal budget (and I usually use "meal" interchangeably with "eating out" in my budget system).

I know I've talked about this before, but doesn't it seem like political compromise involves, well, compromise? So, if Republicans want entitlement cuts and Democrats want tax increases to help increase revenue, a compromise necessitates a little of both? I don't get how Republicans can think they should get everything and give nothing except a willingness to not cut everything. I think Obama could really get some mileage of of this "millionaire tax," painting Republicans as out of touch who call tax increases back to Clinton levels "class warfare." It's true; by increasing taxes you might as well give out broadaxes, pitchforks, and torches and tell people making under $200,000 that the rich are poisoning their drinking supply. To me, class warfare more resembles setting up a system where those on top - the businessmen (mostly men), businesses/corporations, and independently wealthy - control the levers of government by employing lobbyists, many who were former politicians, to wield unheard of influence on congress while the gap between rich and poor increases exponentially. Luckily, we don't live anywhere like that! (wink wink)

I just saw a plan for an economic stimulus that included forgiving student loan debts. Now that's a stimulus plan that I can get behind! Even thinking about that happening is almost too much for me to handle! And your welcome for using all of these text links.

In honor of my dear sister Jessica (I accidentally typed "Jesus" first instead of Jessica. This is: a. an interesting theological idea; b. a side effect of a seminary education that typing a capital J leads your finger muscle memory to type "esus" immediately thereafter.) I will be attending a meeting on sex trafficking that is co-sponsored (maybe?) by International Justice Mission, the organization she works for. So, I need to shower and get going. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment