Saturday, September 10, 2011

Alison Krauss, Unsalted Peanut Butter, and Clothes


Well, it is Saturday morning, and I am laying in my bed enjoying the peace and quiet, and by peace and quiet I mean the loud droning of my fan punctuated by random alley noise.

Last night, thanks to Kathleen O'Donoghue, I went to an Alison Krauss concert down at the Chicago Theatre with Joe Schupbach. Was it wonderful? Let me count the ways:
1. As Joe rightly pointed out, they were dressed like they lived in the Shire, which is obviously a big plus for me.
2. Jerry Douglas was there on the dobro, and he was amazing!
3. They closed with one of my favorite Alison songs, "There Is a Reason," which brought tears to my eyes.
4. We had these amazing mezzanine seats that made me feel like royalty.
5. She sang Richard and Linda Thompson's (later covered by Bonnie Raitt) "Dimming of the Day," which I think is one of the most beautiful songs ever written. Here's Bonnie Raitt doing it to give you an idea:


The one thing that was kind of bizarre was some of the aesthetic choices made by the set designer. They decided to project pictures on a huge screen behind them, which is fine in theory, but it seems that either one of their kids got a new camera for their birthdays or one is part owner of a stock photo company; they were just boring pictures of appalachia/the farm. And, in between each song, the screen would go blue, like when you shut your VCR off but the input is still on the VCR channel. That was not pleasant. Yet, such a small critique in an outstanding show. Thanks, Kathy!

In other news, about a month ago I accidentally bought unsalted peanut butter, and it is all kinds of bland. It's gotten to the point where I salt the peanut butter on my english muffins, which makes me look like a crazy person.

One of the side effects of working part-time moving furniture is the weird and unexplained bruises that show up. My thighs look like they work part-time as a punching bag in a leprechaun gym. I think they come from resting furniture on my thighs while I scramble to open the door behind me or re-position my hands to get a better grip, and, let's be honest, we could all use a better grip.

Thanks to a gift from my parents, I just went shopping (online) for a bunch of new dress clothes. I got two pairs of dress pants, four shirts, and a bunch of socks; I'm going to look awesome.

Well, today I will be studying for the GRE, reading, hanging out at the Marshfield block party, and maybe watching some college football in the meantime. It sounds like a pretty good day to me. Now I need to go cash a check so I can keep up my lavish lifestyle. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment