Friday, April 22, 2011

Second Day of Triduum, Mitt Romney, and Empty Brain Space

Well, two days into the Triduum. Both the Maundy Thursday and Good Friday services are over and now we wait out the night for the Easter Vigil. When the Christ candle is extinguished, I just want to race to the Easter vigil service when you can light it again, but we wait in the darkness for another day.

This might be my favorite The Onion headline of all time: "Mitt Romney Haunted By Past of Trying to Help Uninsured Sick People." See the whole article here. It's a shame that it is a liability in a party to try and get all people insured and cared for, but alas. The money paragraph of the article:
"'Every day I am haunted by the fact that I gave impoverished Massachusetts citizens a chance to receive health care,' Romney told reporters Wednesday, adding that he feels ashamed whenever he looks back at how he forged bipartisan support to help uninsured Americans afford medicine to cure their illnesses. 'I'm only human, and I've made mistakes. None bigger, of course, than helping cancer patients receive chemotherapy treatments and making sure that suffering from pediatric AIDS could obtain medications, but that's my cross to bear.'"

It's just a shame that level-headedness (word?) and bipartisanship must be avoided at all costs in the upcoming Republican primaries in order to pander to the Tea Party who are staking their claim in the far-right nether regions.

I want Billy back; Franklin's also going off the deep end.


Really? You listen to Donald Trump and think, "You know, maybe this guy's right?" When I listen to Donald Trump, I think the exact same thing, except I replace "right" with "crazy."

Well, except for a good proofread and bibliography, the covenant history paper is done! It's definitely a weird feeling to have no more tests or papers hanging over my head between now and the end of the year. I feel like that part of my brain is still firing neurons of anxiety and now must retrain itself for other neurological work. Right now I'm filling the void by bouncing between By One Spirit and Jonathan Franzen's The Corrections. Franzen's character development is holding my attention a bit more than Karl Olsson's lists of monies given to different international missions each year between 1895-1910. While informative, it just doesn't have quite the story arc that holds one's attention for long periods of time.

Okay, I'm going to bed. Come to the Easter Vigil at 7:30 tomorrow at Resurrection Covenant Church!

No comments:

Post a Comment