Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Baked Goods and Glenn Gould


If you ever need to get rid of perishable food items, put them on the seminary kitchen counter with a sign inviting people to eat. I brought two plates of cookies/baked goods left over from Easter at church (I told people I had been baking all weekend, which no one believed) and after my class (1 hour 20 minutes) the plates were nearly cleaned of their contents. It's like dropping a bloody small animal into a piranha pool and watching the ensuing feeding frenzy. Plus, it feels ethically better than tossing a bunch of food (I mean, you could probably make a counter-argument that people don't need a bunch of cookies and baked goods; point taken.).

Speaking of baked goods, HuffPost is running a headline right now entitled, "Rent or Food?" While it's a fascinating and worthwhile topic, it is undercut by the picture of an older gentleman debating whether to buy a brownie or cookie at a local bakery.


At least show someone in a department that does not consist almost exclusively of items on the top of the food pyramid with the corresponding recommendation, "use sparingly." Just sayin'.

I'm almost finished with a documentary on Glenn Gould, a eccentric and amazing classical pianist from the 1960s-1980s best known for his mastering of Bach (and reinterpretation). He was a hypochondriac, sat so low in relation to the piano that his father built him a special chair, and he gave up performing live rather early in his career. The only problem with his recording career was that he could not keep himself from humming and singing along as he played. Here's a clip:


So, I've been listening to a lot of his playing recently, hums and all. Also, watching it helped me put some of my own idiosyncrasies in proper perspective.

Well, I'm going to get ready for our class forum tonight. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment