Sunday, March 20, 2011

My Addiction to Reading Bumper Stickers, Thunder, and Solitude Retreats


One of these days I'm going to get in an accident, and when they ask me why I was driving so close to their bumper, all I will be able to say is, "I just really wanted to read your bumper sticker, and the font was so small!" Seriously, I have some innate desire to read all bumper stickers that will lead me to tailgate someone until this thirst is quenched with a clear reading.

Today during the prayers of the people (done this week by Eva Sullivan-Knoff!), Eva opened the prayer be saying something to the effect of, "Your word tells us to 'be still and know that I am God,"" and right as she was finishing this sentence this deep, low roll of thunder shook for about four or five seconds. I couldn't have timed it better had I had a thunder switch on my seat (a long-time dream of mine!).

On my iGoogle homepage thing, I like to keep both Chicago and Duluth's weather right next to each other. Then, whenever I'm complaining about how cold it is, I look and see that it is at least ten degrees colder in Duluth. For instance, the weather for this Wednesday is only going to make it up to 45 in Chicago, but in Duluth, it's not getting above freezing (25 with a low of 9). It's the small things in life.

I'm falling in love all over again with The Cloister Walk by Kathleen Norris. I think I read this book six years ago maybe, but it's really interesting reading them again being almost finished with seminary. Also, it combines three of my favorite things: liturgy, writing/poetry, and Minnesota. I've also been considering taking a solitude retreat after graduation, and I think St. John's Abbey may be just the place to do it. St. John's Abbey is a Benedictine monastery connected to St. John's University in Collegeville, MN (near St. Cloud) that is known for:
1. a great college football team with a coach who has the most wins ever in any division of college football.
2. The St. John's Bible, which is a beautiful handwritten and illuminated Bible commissioned by the abbey and university. Here's one picture of it:

Amazing, right?

3. Liturgical Press, publishing worship books and materials since 1926.

So, I'm going to see if I can make this dream a reality for the end of May sometime. Well, and by " I'm going to see," I mean I just made reservations!

Now I need to go get ready for the evening Lenten service. Come to ResCov at 7 if you would like to join us!

1 comment:

  1. I toured St. John's when I was in my super-monastic (probably not a term monks would approve of) phase, and got to see the St. John's Bible (very cool) and the rooms guests stay in. I would say that I'm jealous of your retreat, but again, such feelings probably negate any monastic leanings. Anyway, have fun.

    Have you ever read "Beyond the Walls" by Paul Wilkes? It comforted me when I realized I probably would not, in fact, ever become a monk.

    ReplyDelete