Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Li(v)estrong, School, and Randomness


I think that after everything is said and done with this Lance Armstrong/cycling doping scandal, there's going to be some random, honest Belgian cyclist who's going to end up with 13 Tour de France titles by default. Congratulations, Arnaud (and yes, I looked up popular Belgian male names. What's it to ya?)! And really? You're confessing on Oprah? What is this, 2001? Also, how can you lie for that long to so many people? How does that happen? If I hint at a lie, I lay awake until I send a late night email confessing my sins. And just when I thought cycling was going to be my new favorite spectator sport (sarcasm).

What is the statute of limitations on spoiler alerts? For instance, if you still do not know how the Harry Potter series ends, I don't think you can still be legitimately angry when someone talks about it in conversation. You know, if you're watching Lincoln and find out he dies at the end, you shouldn't be that surprised (same goes for Zero Dark Thirty).

School starts again on Thursday, and I realize I have (I believe?) neglected to tell you my school schedule. First and foremost, I crazily only have regular classes on Thursdays! While this has a huge upside, I'm a bit concerned that the rest of my week will fall into a dystopian state of unstructured time where I'll sleep until 11:30, eat cheez whiz for lunch, and try to read the occasional textbook while watching continuous episodes of Laverne and Shirley. The key is a structured schedule. Anyhow, I am taking Medieval History (focusing on the liturgy of the Medieval Church), American Theological Liberalism (focusing on the hymns of the social gospel movement), and an independent study at Boston College on early church liturgies. All in all, I think it should be an interesting and enlightening semester.

While I did not watch the Golden Globes (because I have better things to do with my time, like watch Parenthood or YouTube clips of amazing goalie saves), I did catch Amy Poehler and Tina Fey's opening bit. My two favorite jokes (one already written on facebook):
1. "Ben's (Affleck) first two movies took place in Boston, but he moved this one to Iran because he wanted to film somewhere that was friendlier to outsiders."
2. "Meryl Streep is not here tonight; she has the flu, and I hear she is amazing in it."

Don't worry, #1 got a response in the Boston Globe op-ed section asking if this was true and calling on Bostonians to change this perception of unfriendliness.

This morning I got an early automated phone call from BU telling me to evacuate if I was in such and such a building because they had a "chemical spill." Some chemistry professor is losing his/her job. Also, I might go down and try to turn into a super hero. What could go wrong?

I have to admit seeing the Packers take it on the chin was a bit of consolation for our grievous loss. I think I'm cheering for the 49ers or the Ravens. I mean, Ray Lewis seems almost half-machine now with all the gear he has to wear. How can you not cheer for a 37 year-old playing at that level in the NFL?

Well, I think that's all for today. I'm going to try and do some legitimate reading (as opposed to illegitimate reading) this afternoon before choir practice. Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment