Friday, July 6, 2012

Fantasy, Star Trek, and Wedding


So, I just finished George MacDonald's Lilith. It's the story about the famed Lilith of Jewish folklore who was supposedly created at the same time as Adam and would not be subservient to him or God and has spent her life going after children and howling her hatred toward humankind (I'm going to skip the obvious feminist critique of such a story). MacDonald's belief is that no one, no matter how evil, is too evil to be past the point of the love or redemption of God even after death (this is where much of the theology/soteriology behind C.S. Lewis' Last Battle and The Great Divorce comes from. So, he takes the story of Lilith and shows how even she may be redeemed by the judgment and love of God. The last 50 pages were incredibly poignant, poetic, and hopeful.

I think that's one of the reasons I love Christian fantasy (Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, George MacDonald). Sometimes it's hard to see the plot, the beauty of this grand story of redemption and love when you're reading Paul's epistle to the Corinthians or when you've grown accustomed or hardened to the beauty of the biblical story. It can be easy to forget this grand narrative. Reading fantasy/fiction shows this epic story of redemption that can slip under the defenses I've created for myself, renew my hope, and help me return to the biblical stories with new eyes to see the story I'd been missing the whole time. On that note, if you haven't voted in the poll on your favorite fantasy work, please do so on your right. Harry Potter's currently avada kedavra-ing the competition...or at least crucio-ing it.

I watched Star Trek for the first time (the 2009 movie, not the TV series). I have to say, I truly enjoyed it. Although Jessie nerding out to it was a bit much at times, especially when she went into the history lessons ("The blue shirts are the medical people....etc." or "When I was little, I taped my fingers together until I could do the Vulcan sign for "Live long and prosper.").

Today I'm heading up to Green Bay for Brian and Alissa's wedding! Two wonderful people that met at ResCov, I believe! It should be a good time, even if it is in Green Bay. Luckily, we won't need to print out directions; we'll just follow the smell of beer and industrial waste. BOOM! I kid, I kid!

Okay, I'm going to get some stuff done before I head to Wisconsin. Later!

1 comment:

  1. never too much nerdiness where star trek is involved...at least i spared the detail about creating vulcan ears from silky putty.

    someone is nerdier than i: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfleet_uniforms

    ReplyDelete