Friday, July 22, 2011

HPVII.2, Heat, and Dog Sitting

Well, it's been a while since my last post. I think I was ruminating on what it means to be a true adult now that the Harry Potter franchise has ended. I mean, maybe I should have done this before 27. It really is an end of an era. In related news, I thought that HPVII.2 was pretty great/satisfying. There will always be little things from the book that you would have liked to see in the movie (for me, it was the house elves being the source (or a conversation about house elves) of Hermione and Ron's first kiss as well as them (house elves) coming out to fight when Voldemort and the Death Eaters come back to Hogwarts), but overall I can't complain. They gave McGonagall some good air time, which I was ecstatic about. Anyway, I may or may not be re-reading through the books again.

What else? This heat wave is disgusting. I know it's completely boring to rant and rave about the weather on a blog, but this is getting ridiculous. Everywhere I turn the world is drying out in rusty browns and dried-out yellows; I feel like the world is going to start cracking apart. Yesterday I felt like putting lotion on some of the dried-out and cracking soil. I mean, it works for my skin, right? All we need is the most gigantic tub of Eucerin this world has ever seen. And then these storms at night! Last night there was such a loud crack by my bedroom that I swear if Maria Von Trapp lived in my house I would have ran to her room and had her sing "My Favorite Things" to calm me down. I know this sounds ridiculous, but it reinforces my desires to never live south of Chicago unless I'm on some big body of water that will moderate the weather. You want to know what type of job is not fun in this weather? Moving furniture. Monday was a sweaty mess of a work day.

In other news, I successfully dog-sat for three nights last week. Now, when I was little we had a dog for a few years named Ginger. Ginger was a golden retriever puppy that scared me then with her overabundant energy and willingness to "play," which at that point seemed very similar to what I thought "attack" looked like. Once she even followed the school bus for more than a mile and jumped on when we stopped to pick someone up. My sister was mortified. So, this was a good chance for me to reconcile with man's best friend, and I have. I really enjoy dogs and could see myself having one if it wasn't such a financial/time constraint. Although I don't enjoy the whole bathroom experience. It always reminds me of the Seinfeld monologue which I cannot find so I will quote:
"On my block a lot of people walk their dogs, and I always see them walking along with their little poop bags. This, to me, is the lowest activity in human life: following a dog with a little scooper, waiting for him to go so you can walk down the street with it in your bag. If aliens are watching this through telescopes, they're going to think the dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them's making a poop, the other one's carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?"

Anyway, I've digressed all the way from weather to bathroom humor. I better stop before this blog really goes south (I refrained myself from saying "to the dogs"...well, I guess I didn't totally refrain). Stay cool, Chicago!

No comments:

Post a Comment