Friday, December 24, 2010

Home for the Holidays

Hello everyone. In lieu of sending out a head shot of me sitting at a piano for a Christmas card, I decided to make my long-overdue return to blogging.

I'm currently sitting in Hermantown on Christmas Eve at Luke and Chelsey Harju's house enjoying some rest and relaxation. My first night in Duluth seemed fitting as we got about ten inches of snow and school was cancelled. Ahh...just how I remember it! It's hard to think what to write when my last post was in the summer.

This semester went well. I finished the first chapter of my thesis on the relationship between worship and ethics, finished my internship credits, finished up my second Advent at church, only have two more classes (beside the thesis) next semester, and will be going through the call process with the Evangelical Covenant Church starting in January. What now? I know!

Top ten favorite Christmas songs:
1. O Holy Night- Most versions, although Josh Groban's is getting a little old. Mariah's, on the other hand, ages like a fine wine.
2. Cradle in Bethlehem- This song, both by Sarah Groves and Neal & Leandra has been one of my favorite new finds.
3. Trumpet Child - How had I not heard this Over the Rhine gem before?
4. In the Bleak Midwinter- "Our God, heaven cannot hold him, nor the earth sustain; heaven and earth shall pass away when he comes to reign." Doesn't get much better than that. I like JT's version almost the best.
5. Salvation Is Created- Aaron turned me on to this Chesnakov (sp?) song. Ironically it was his last religious song he was able to write before the Soviet Union took over and forbid it. Commies ruin everything!
6. Star Carol - Simon and Garfunkel put out a great version of this that always gets me.
7. The Birthday of a King - Always loved it, especially Judy Garland's version.
8. O Come All Ye Faithful - obvs.
9. Once in Royal David's City - especially when sopranos from the North Park choir sing the descant on the last verse; I'm a sucker for descants.
10. All I Want for Christmas Is You - classic.
11. (tie) Happy Xmas (War is Over) and Wonderful Christmas Time - John and Paul getting their Christmas on.

Some songs that have rubbed me the wrong way this Christmas season:
1. Dominick the Donkey - I don't even understand this song.
2. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus - This will screw a kid up. This is even worse when the Jackson 5 sings it and Michael talks about telling his dad. I always think, "Don' tell Joe! What if Santa wasn't him? He'll go crazy! I've seen Jackson 5: An American Dream - he doesn't handle anger well.
3. Baby It's Cold Outside - No means no, dude. Don't accept any drinks (not even half a drink) from that guy. This song reminds me of Kathy Bates in Misery.
4. Away in a Manger - I dislike the tune but love the alternate tune...not to mention the gnostic tendencies of "no crying he makes."
5. Grandma Got Ran Over by a Reindeer- Now that's the Christmas spirit! Grandma getting run over!

Okay, I'm going to eat lunch with my brother. Merry Christmas!



2 comments:

  1. i agree with everything you said, and loved the gnostic and descant references.

    happy christmas!
    mari

    ReplyDelete
  2. HATE Dominick the Donkey.
    Top Five Least Favorite Christmas Songs:

    Jingle Bells
    Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
    Sleigh Ride (except that big band- jazzy version, I can't remember who it is)
    Frosty the Snowman
    (tie) Jingle Bell Rock and Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree

    ReplyDelete