Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Midwinter Midweek


Well, folks, I have made it to San Diego and Midwinter! It has already been great to see so many friends and colleagues, and we're only halfway through! My day of travel was uneventful, which is exactly what you want out of a day of travel. However, I did not realize how long the flight was from the East to West Coasts! I was not emotionally or spiritually prepared for a flight over six hours. You know, when you're flying internationally, you set yourself up (or drug yourself for) a long flight and expect it. I thought this flight would be more in the ballpark of four hours. By the time hour five hit, I was pacing up and down the aisles hitting people a la Stillwell:



So, hopefully the remainder of the week will be filled with friends, food (and drink), and fellowship. You know the list is from the Holy Spirit if its alliterative. This morning I reached my limit of extroversion, so I'm currently bunkered in my room enjoying my isolation. It's a nice change of pace to have to choose to be alone. After a much-deserved nap, I will again join the land of the living for a free afternoon in San Diego! Some people have talked about going to the beach, but today's high was maybe 58, so the beach might even be a bit cold for me.

One of the many things I inherited from my mother (besides my compulsion to clean before I go on vacation - feels so good to get home to a clean house/room/bathroom!) is an unwavering trust in the healing properties of alka-seltzer. For me, it's like an elixir that those traveling charlatans used to sell in the day, except it works!


I swear, if I was dying on a battlefield, I would reach up, grab the medic by the collar, and whisper with my dying breath, "Just find me four to six ounces of water and dissolve (gasp) two tablets of alka-seltzer (gurgle) in it. They're here in my top pocket. If I get them, I'll...I'll...I'll be fi....................". That's where I flat-lined. If only I had gotten the alka-seltzer earlier.

Okay, this is a short one. I could fill you in on lots of Covenant news, but I'm sure that would be a real snooze fest, so we will now part company. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment