Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Bad Jobs, Running, and Another Installment of Misheard Lyrics


One job I would not like to have: parking enforcement. Not only do you have to walk outside in all types of weather, and no one is happy to see you. No one is running out of the store or restaurant to thank you for holding them accountable to the laws of the land. No, they are coming out to at best sweetly try to get out of a ticket and at worst berate you for attempting to do your job. It's hard to get yelled at for someone else's irresponsibility. I think that actually might be one of my nightmare jobs.

I think the worst job I ever did (and only for one day) was cleaning out the dried cement on the inside of a cement truck drum with a jackhammer. Not only did I spend the day alone inside a cement truck drum, but the sound of the jackhammer reverberating inside that metal drum will drive you crazy (especially when you are alone all day). Also, no matter what type of protective mask you wear, you end up inhaling a lot of debris that sets your mind on the lethality of carcinogens. Here's a view from the inside:


Doesn't it look like some type of torture device out of one of the Saw movies or something? It's really not that bad, but this picture makes it look ominous.

This afternoon I'm going to attempt my first run post-marathon. That should be an interesting experience; not only am I still a bit sore, but I hit my shin about as hard as I ever have on my coffee table yesterday. To me there is nothing more frustrating that hitting yourself on an inanimate object. Not only is there no apology, but you can't even yell at it or retaliate in anyway. It just sits there dumbly as you rage. Furthermore, if you do physically retaliate, you will either break the object or hurt yourself further (not that I would physically retaliate against an animate object mind you). It's really a no-win.

Oh, I thought of another past misheard lyrics. The original lyrics to the Cat Stevens' song:

Cause out on the edge of darkness,
there rides the peace train.
O peace train take this country,
come take me home again.

When I was little, I thought it was:

Cause out on the edge of darkness,
there rides the g-string.
O g-string take this country,
come take me home again.

So, wherever that song sings, "peace train," I heard "g-string." The funny thing is I didn't know what a g-string was and thought Cat Stevens was talking about the g-string on his guitar. So, I thought his guitar was going to take back this country, and it was the g-string that was "sounding louder" in the chorus.

In other news, I'm about to download the new Fleet Foxes album, "Helplessness Blues," with an iTunes gift card that my parents gave me for Easter. I'm looking forward to hearing it. Catch you on the flip side.

1 comment: